The National University of Singapore Business School has honored 12 outstanding alumni during its biennial Eminent Business Alumni Awards.
The 12 alumni were honored for their outstanding contribution to business and society. Among the industries they represent: banking, finance, investment, cyber safety, food & beverage, water filtration and medical services.
In a 20-minute speech at the awarding ceremony, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Foreign Affairs, highlighted the importance of restructuring the education system in face of an ongoing digital revolution whose significance is no less than the industrial revolution some 250 years ago.
“The real challenge is to master tomorrow’s technology,” said Dr Balakrishnan, who is also the Minister-in-charge of the Smart Nation initiative.
Professor Bernard Yeung, Dean and Stephen Riady Distinguished Professor of NUS Business School, also expressed his gratitude to the alumni’s contribution to the country.
“Our recipients have made an impact beyond Singapore’s shores, contributed to the nation’s goal of becoming a Smart Nation, and generously donated their time to serve the community,” he said.
Some awardees shared their excitement with Fortune Times during the ceremony.
Bahren Shaari, CEO of Bank of Singapore, said: “The university degree allowed me to get into my first job in an accounting firm. That was really important to my career.”
Mr Tan Wang Cheow, Founder and Executive Chairman of Food Empire Holdings Ltd, said: “The NUS Business School set a good foundation to me and my future career. We have a good school here and students don’t have to go overseas to learn business.”
The National University of Singapore (NUS) Business School, which was established in 1965, is known for providing management thought leadership from an Asian perspective, enabling its students and corporate partners to leverage global knowledge and Asian insights.
The school has consistently received top rankings by independent publications and agencies, such as The Financial Times, Economist Intelligence Unit, and QS Top MBA, in recognition of the quality of its programs, faculty research and graduates.
NUS Business School
Eminent Business Alumni Awards 2018
|1||NUS Business School
Eminent Business Alumni Awards
1. Senior Alumni Award2. Young Alumni Award3. Alumni Service Award
|3||Mr Peter Seah
Chairman, DBS Group Holdings & DBS Bank
|4||Professor Bernard Yeung
Dean and Stephen Riady Distinguished Professor
|5||Senior Alumni Award recipients
1. Mr Bahren Bin Haji Shaari, CEO, Bank of Singapore
(Bachelor of Business Administration (Accounting), 1984)
2. Datuk Chay Wai Leong, Group Managing Director, Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 1987)
3. Ms Tan Hwee Bin, Chairman, NTUC Health Co-operative Limited; Director, Singapore Labour Foundation; Executive Director, Wing Tai Holdings Limited
(Bachelor of Business Administration (Accounting), 1985)
4. Mr Tan Wang Cheow, Founder and Executive Chairman, Food Empire Holdings Limited
(Bachelor of Business Administration (Accounting), 1981)
5. Mr Tian Tao, Advisor, Huawei International Advisory Council; Co-Director, Ruihua Innovative Management Research Institute, Zhejiang University; Co-Director, Cambridge Centre for Chinese Management
(Asia-Pacific Executive Master of Business Administration Chinese, 2009)
6. Ms Teo Lay Lim, Senior Managing Director, Accenture
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 1985)
|6||Young Alumni Award recipients
1. Mr Lee Junxian, CEO and Co-founder, Moovaz
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 2008; Master of Business Administration S3 Asia, 2014)
2. Mr Justin Lie Wee Chian, CEO and Founder, CashShield
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 2010)
3. Ms Nang Lang Kham, Deputy CEO, Kanbawza Bank (KBZ Bank); Chair of Brighter Future Myanmar Foundation
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 2011)
4. Mr David Pong Sheung Yan, CEO and Co-founder, WateROAM
(Bachelor of Business Administration with Honours, 2014)
工商管理学士, 2008/工商管理学硕士 S3亚洲， 2014
3. Nang Lang Kham
|7||Alumni Service Award recipients
1. Mr Kwek Chok Ming, Past President (2014 – 2018), NUS Business School Mandarin Alumni Association; Senior Financial Services Director, Prudential Assurance Company Singapore Pte Ltd
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 1978; Asia Pacific Executive Master of Business Administration Chinese, 2009)
2. Mr Sonny Yuen Chee Choong, Founding member and President (2014 – 2018), NUS Business School Alumni Association (NUSBSA); Co-founder and Managing Director, JonDavidson Pte Ltd
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 1985)